Relocating to the UK is a relatively painless affair. European Union citizens are free to work in the UK without requiring a visa or work permit (except the recent accession states of Bulgaria & Romania). There are certain other exceptions that can be obtained from the UK immigration bureau.


62,698,362 (July 2011 est.)

Time difference:

Greenwich Mean Time (GMT)

Telephone code:





English (official) - Welsh (about 26% of the population of Wales) - Scottish form of Gaelic (about 60,000 in Scotland)

Tax Authority:

HM Revenue & Customs -

Social Security:

HM Revenue & Customs -


Accommodation rental in the UK differs from city to city with London being the most expensive. Typically people rent rooms in houses or apartments rather than studio apartments.

To satisfy a landlord you will need proof of ID (Passport or ID card), social security number, employer reference and possibly a copy of a bank statement. You will need to pay one months’ rent in advance and a months’ deposit in order to secure a room.

Average Montly Rent

Single Room £380 - 600
Bed in Shared Room £200 - 400
Double Room £400 - 800
Studio £750 - 2000


Opening a bank account in the United Kingdom:

You must be aged at least 18 and provide two forms of identification (including one with a photograph, such as a passport) plus proof of residence in the UK (e.g. a recent utility bill) if applicable. It’s sensible to keep an account open in the country you’re leaving to deal with final bills and unexpected expenses.
You’ll want to select a branch near to where you will be living. Although it’s possible for non-resident homeowners to do most of their banking via a foreign account using debit and credit cards, you will still need a UK bank account to pay your utility bills and receive pay from your employer.

How much will I need to relocate to London & UK?

  • Money for a flight.
  • Hostel accommodation while looking for a room & job.
  • Deposit + 1 month’s rent.
  • Food, travel and subsistence.
  • Enough money to cover you until you receive your first pay from your employer. Note most employers will pay you monthly in arrears for office/professional jobs. Employers that use temporary staff will pay weekly or bi-monthly.
  • You will need to be paid into a bank account. You must put this as a priority when you arrive in the UK. Arranging your social security number and bank account will dictate how much and how quickly you get paid.